Sunday, 26 May 2013

Cracks

             Under black dirigible skies
 the pavement up Sheephouse Way
              cracks from 1967 to 2013.

               My brother says if I tread
     on a crack, the Devil will get me.
                           But how on earth

does he expect me to get to school
            without stepping on at least
                                   one or two?

                             They always run
                 south-west to north-east.
     One’s the Rio Grande. Another’s

                              Antonine’s Wall.

2 comments:

jem said...

Although I'm here for your haiku I really enjoy your longer poems too. I like the atmosphere of a certain time period you create. And it's way more subtle and effective than the novels that try to overload on period detail and drown under it. They take me back to my childhood, to things I heard about even if I didn't always do. I like the way this brings together the imaginations of a child with those of an adult poet. Beautiful.

Matthew Paul said...

Thanks ever so much for your kind comments, jem - I really appreciate them.